The COVID Crisis is testing our mettle as a society and is challenging our business and government leaders. There are some fundamental characteristics that leaders exhibit during times of adversity which should guide our thinking as we manage teams and people. Leaders:
- Create an environment of trust and safety.
- Exhibit compassion and genuine empathy.
- Share bad news with clarity and honesty.
- Care about their people.
- Exhibit both vulnerability and confidence.
- Encourage collaboration; this is especially important as many of us are working in virtual environments.
Crises create threats as well as opportunities. They are also times when we need leaders to step up. It is the leader’s job to instill confidence, provide hope and most importantly, build trust.